Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Jaago... Mohan Pyaare....

I have no clue if it has something to do with what our parents ate… but I am convinced that our generation has a huge problem. I call it the “I - just - can’t - wake - up - early - in - the - morning - syndrome”. How many times do I remember asking my mom, my friends, my cousins, at times even my colleagues, to wake me up at different times of the morning, so that I could make it to college or to office on time… well almost!

Recently, I have been on the receiving end of this whole deal of waking-someone-up. And after trying to wake someone up hazzar times, and failing almost completely… I got thinking… and came up with some techniques that may just work… if there is enough conviction to wake up.


- Do not use the alarm function of your mobile for that comes with a useless option we call “Snooze”. The best way is to use an actual alarm clock (multiple alarm clocks, placed at different locations work like magic!). Keep the clock as far away from your bed as you can manage. If possible, place the alarm clock in a locked cupboard. The effort it will take for you to hunt for the key, unlock the door and slap the alarm shut is sure to wake you up. Of course, if you sleep like a dead man, by using this technique, you may actually end up dead, murdered by an angry roommate!

- In case you do use the mobile phone alarm… use a ring tone that you hate… irritation first thing in the morning, is a sure way to get out of the slumber! - Using the same ring tone and alarm tone usually helps too! For you may hastily hunt for the phone and answer an alarm…

- Saying things like “Make sure you wake me up at 7 tomorrow, no matter what happens. I have an important meeting, and I just can’t afford to miss it!!” to your girlfriend/boyfriend is a sure way of heading straight towards a huge fight! Instead try something like… “Will you check if I am awake at 7ish? I just don’t want to miss my meeting!” Of course, if you do end up giving ultimatums like the above, then be prepared to have the most weird people hunting you down to wake you up!


- Avoid asking too many people to wake you up! And never ask too many people to wake you up at different times… like one at 7, one at 7:15, and then one at 7:30! If the one assigned with the 7 o clock duty ever finds out, he will make sure that that’s the last wake up call you ever get!!!

- Moms are the best wake up call candidates. They are persistent, and they genuinely care! Plus, they usually have a lot of experience.


- Never ask for a wake up call, if you are one of those people who do not remember what they say in their sleep! For you, your alarm clocks work the best…


- The milkman and the paperboy often work as good wake up calls. The effort to wake up and answer the door twice will ensure you do not go back to sleep the third time…

- Rearranging your bed to face the window… and then sleeping facing the window helps… without doubt! Glaring sun in your face first thing in the morning is quite an effective way to get you out of bed. Of course, this becomes quite painful on weekends and holidays.


Of course, you can chuck all this and try sleeping on time! Nah… is that really an option?

4 comments:

Happy Man said...

That was below the belt. God won't forgive you.

Mukta Raut said...

Spot on! :-)

Anonymous said...

It really sounded so much better in my head!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Moms dont always wake you up on time. My mom always calls me up later and says " I wanted you to have proper rest. "